Monday 17 February 2014

CBR250R First Service - Valve Adjustment

So the CBR hit nearly 2,000km's before I got around to doing the first service. Been holding off due to the task being quite time consuming (around 2-3hrs if no shims need to be replaced) and I had already changed the oil at 500km's. 
Before I went for it I had a read of this walkthrough. The walkthrough is very detailed - awesome work by the editor. I do have to say though, its not an enjoyable task. The fuel tank is difficult to remove due to the tricky fuel hose connection and the rocker cover only *just* makes it out between the radiator and wiring harness so refitting the rocker cover gasket is fiddly. I didn't have a proper tool to remove the timing cover caps so I ended up using coins and they worked perfectly. However I did have to hit the caps with a hammer behind a rag to break up the bond before I could wind them out.
Both intake and exhaust valves were well within spec - no replacement of shims was necessary. That saved me a lot of time otherwise it'd be an easy 3-4hr job if shim change was required as the rocker arms need to be removed.
Back in one piece




No comments:

Post a Comment